Dulse Potato Cakes
This seaweed adds an extra salt and umami component to a classic fried potato cake.
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1 small onion, minced fine
- 1 cup fresh, chopped dulse
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable or olive oil (enough for the bottom of each cake to be covered)
- Shred potatoes using a cheese grater. Place shredded potatoes between paper towels to squeeze out excess moisture.
- Rinse, drain, and chop fresh dulse.
- Combine, potatoes, onions, and dulse. Beat egg and combine with potato mixture. Mix in flour.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Fix mixture into small 3″ potato rounds. Drop each round into hot oil, pressing with back of spoon to flatten.
- Fry until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels.